168 years ago
1864 January 29 – Governor John Milton informed General Pierre Beauregard, Commanding the Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida that Confederate Army deserters were organizing themselves into bands in the state. The areas of the strongest groups in Florida were in Lafayette, Washington, Walton, Taylor and Levy Counties in West Florida. The deserters were also operating in strong bands from Tampa to Fort Myers in Southwest Florida.
150 years ago
1872 July 19 – On motion of N.R. Carter, a tax of 1/10 of 1 percent was levied for the support of Levy County’s 15 common schools. The schools were located in Bronson; two on Way Key; Cedar Keys; two at Levyville; Clyatts; Hardees; Ebenezer; Otter Creek; Charity; Black Dirt; Hodges Island; Waccasassa; and Oak Grove. The total amount of the assessment was $1,055.
100 years ago
1922 March – W.H. Pillsbury, Superintendent of the Cummer Cypress Company made an offer to donate the steel bridge his company had across the Suwannee River at Fowler’s Bluff if the three counties – Levy, Dixie and Alachua, involved would remove the structure and clear the river. This was a railroad bridge and was apparently donated for use at Fanning Springs and was the first highway bridge across the river there.
@Levy County Historical Society, Inc.