Remember what makes us great.
Tonight and Thursday night, Inverness and Crystal River will host fireworks celebrating the United States Declaration of Independence.
We also urge you to take time to reflect on our freedom.
Freedom is costly. Since its signing, America has grown to become the leader of the free world. That designation comes with responsibility and additional cost as every other country wants what we have.
We have come such a long way in so few years.
Freedom means something beyond words but the words fail to capture the essence of freedom. As our Founding Fathers understood in framing our liberties: “The right of every person to the fruits of his labor; secure in the enjoyment of those blessings. to be secure in his person, his house, his papers, and his effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures... .”
They made us a nation because of our love of freedom and it is this belief that our founders instilled in us on this land.
As a reminder for those who want to attend a fireworks celebration, we provide the following:
- The city of Inverness will light up the sky at 9 p.m. tonight over Lake Henderson. Parking locations and suggested viewing locations include:
- Boys & Girls Club Ballfield, 401 N. Apopka Ave.
- Inverness Government Center, 212 W. Main St.
- Pine Avenue Municipal Parking Lot, near the intersection of Pine Avenue and Dampier
- Wayside Park, 1010 State Road 44 E.
- Folding chairs and blankets are welcome at Cooter Pond Park, 181 U.S. 41.
- Dampier Street will be closed at MLK Avenue to the Withlacoochee State Trail for people to gather. No alcohol, coolers, canopies, pop-up tents, personal fireworks, barbecue grilling or pets allowed.
- Crystal River will host its annual Fourth festivities from 5 to 10 p.m. Thursday, July 4, at King’s Bay Park, 268 NW Third St.
The free event will feature music, food, games and beer and wine.
Fireworks will begin at 9 p.m., weather permitting. The best view will be from King’s Bay Park.
For more information, call 352-795-4216 or visit www.crystalriverfl.org.