Citrus County Fire Rescue CCFR Logo

A storeroom at Sonny’s BBQ in Inverness caught fire the afternoon of Saturday, Feb. 20, prompting evacuations and the restaurant to close.

Sonny’s was open as of Monday morning.

Firefighters with Citrus County Fire Rescue (CCFR) and the Inverness Fire Department (IFD) were dispatched at 12:23 p.m. to the eatery at 750 W. Main St., where CCFR and IFD crews arrived at 12:27 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from the building’s rear, according to CCFR.

Occupants inside were evacuated while firefighters controlled the blaze by 12:38 p.m., containing damages to electrical systems and a back storeroom containing a smoker.

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters ventilated the building with fans before verifying its carbon dioxide and oxygen levels were within safe limits. CCFR officials also told the business owner to shut down until the Florida Department of Health gave the OK to reopen.

Contact Chronicle reporter Buster Thompson at 352-564-2916,  bthompson@chronicleonline.com or visit tinyurl.com/yxn2ahso to see more of his stories.