Citrus County Fire Rescue logo

Fire investigators believe a malfunctioning refrigerator ignited a Wednesday morning blaze that damaged a Hernando home and killed a dog inside.

Citrus County Fire Rescue (CCFR) crews were dispatched at 10:40 a.m. to the 2900 block of East Blueberry Lane, where firefighters from the Inverness Highlands and Citrus Springs stations arrived to find light smoke coming from a single-wide mobile home, according to a CCFR report.

Responders entered the home to fight the kitchen fire, which was under control by 10:56 a.m. No human injuries were reported, but a dog was found dead inside the home, according to CCFR’s report.

CCFR contacted the American Red Cross to help the family with housing assistance.

Unlimited digital access offer

To continue with unlimited access to Chronicle Online after this limited time trial click the button below. Offer expires September 30, 2019.

Contact Chronicle reporter Buster Thompson at 352-564-2916 or bthompson@chronicleonline.com.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.