Each year, the Women of Sugarmill Woods holds two luncheons devoted to awarding its contributions to local charities in March and its scholarships to graduating seniors from Citrus County high schools in April.
Both luncheons were canceled, but the contributions were made by mail.
In March, eight organizations shared gifts totaling $18,400.
The grants were made to:
- CASA (Citrus Abuse Shelter Association): supports victims of domestic violence. women, children and men, by providing shelter, safety, intervention and education. This gift will support the Children’s Prevention Program classes and Advocacy Services.
- Citrus County Blessings: provides food to 1,500 students who have no access to weekend food services when they are not in school. This is a year-round program.
- Jessie’s Place: Abused and neglected children receive multiple services including advocacy, trauma therapy, medical exams and forensic interviews. The assistance is provided with the cooperation of numerous child-friendly local groups.
- Friends of Citrus & the Nature Coast: provides grief support to widows, widowers and children who have experienced the loss of a loved one or a parent with workshops, telephone counseling and educational services.
- Homosassa Public Library: This grant will support three new programs to benefit adults, teenagers and young children providing educational and imaginative information.
- Nature Coast Ministries: offers support for the Thrift Store, Food Pantry and Dental Clinic which serve veterans, seniors, the homeless and low-income adults. This gift will be used to provide dental supplies to 100 additional patients.
- The Path: a faith-based rescue mission that provides shelter and other services to homeless men, women and their children. Residents man a thrift store and operate a 15-acre farm which grows vegetables for sale. This gift will be used to provide outdoor play equipment for the children.
- We Care: provides 3 million pounds of fresh, frozen, canned and boxed food each year to low-income families in Citrus County, plus offers personal services such as assistance with Medicare and other complicated programs.