The Citrus County School Board has a packed agenda for their upcoming meeting, including the pending approval of significant federal funding for secondary and post-secondary education.
Their regular meeting is slated for 4 p.m. Oct. 12 at the Citrus County School District administrative office, 1007 W. Main St. in Inverness.
School board members will vote to approve the “Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V Grant)” in the amount of $183,687. Its purpose is to help students grades six to 12 acquire academic and technical skills to prepare for future careers.
The grant will fund a full-time program specialist for career and technical education and site licenses, software and technical development for career and technical education (CTE).
The funds will be used at Crystal River High School (CRHS) for their anatomy and physiology, health science foundations and electrocardiograph technician programs, along with a cardiovascular technology course at Santa Fe College.
An additional Perkins V Grant in the amount of $75,000 is pending approval from the board for educational materials for the Department of Juvenile Justice. Items will enhance food services and agriculture, horticulture and building/construction programs.
A third Perkins grant is pending board approval in the amount of $80,736. The post-secondary grant will provide funding to support personnel and equipment at Withlacoochee Technical College.
After review, board members will also vote to approve the 2021-22 school improvement plans for all district schools. School improvement plans are to be used by every school with stakeholders to review data, set goals, create plans and monitor progress. Plans are typically updated throughout the year.
Other notable items on the agenda up for approval include but are not limited to:
- Updated suicide prevention policy.
- Final five-year work plan of the Citrus County School Board.
- Clinical affiliation between the board and Cypress Cove Care Center, regarding CRHS’s Academy of Health Careers.
- Agreement with Little Blue Bees Behavior Therapy Services, Inc. staff to provide services in Citrus Schools.
- School calendar options for 2022-23.
- Bid for iPad repair renewals in the amount of $195,000.
- Surplus list, cash and investment report, financial statements and budget update.