Pine Ridge Shooting Scene

Members of the Citrus County Sheriff's Office SWAT Team board an armored vehicle Saturday evening in response to a shooting and barricaded subject inside a home near the intersection of Flagstaff Avenue and Alamo Drive in the Pine Ridge community. The man who barricaded himself in the home died Sunday morning at an area hospital.

A 52-year-old man who shot his roommate twice Saturday night in the Pine Ridge community, and barricaded himself inside the residence, is dead.

The man, who officials aren’t naming pending next-of-kin notification, died at 2:50 a.m. Sunday at an area hospital. His death is under investigation pending the medical examiner’s report.

“No gunshot wound to the suspect, we did not shoot at him, there was no self-inflicted gunshot, nor was he shot at by anyone else in the home,” said Brittney Carman, sheriff’s office spokeswoman. “We deployed gas inside the home, he still didn’t exit. We entered and removed him without further incident.”

The man was making weird statements and his behavior was irrational, according to Carmen, so he was taken to a hospital for evaluation and treatment.

A copy of the initial report from Saturday was not available Sunday, Carman said, noting it is the sheriff’s office “procedure to have all public records sent through our records department.” The records department isn’t open on the weekends.

According to a news release the agency issued late Saturday, the series of events began unfolding at approximately 6:30 p.m. when Citrus County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a shooting at approximately in the area of West Alamo Drive in Pine Ridge (Beverly Hills) in reference to a possible shooting.

Upon arrival, deputies learned one of the occupants inside the home was shot and the gunman remained inside the residence. The victim, a 53-year-old male, had one gunshot wound to the upper right chest area, shoulder essentially. The victim was transported via life flight to an area hospital. His injury is considered non-life threatening and the victim is in stable condition, Carman said.

Two other people inside the home at the time of the incident were able to escape unharmed.

Knowing the armed suspect was still inside, SWAT and negotiators began their process of ending the standoff as safely as possible, Carman said Saturday night. Chronicle reporters on scene could hear officials calling for the man to come outside. The sheriff’s office could also be heard deploying tear gas as well as flash bang grenades.

The standoff ended at 10:01 p.m., when the man was transported to an area hospital.

No sheriff’s personnel were injured during the incident.

The investigation remains active and no additional details are available at this time, Carman said.

Contact Chronicle reporter Buster Thompson at 352-564-2916 or

Load comments