Occupants inside a Hernando house were able to escape late Wednesday night after a fire ignited from a short-circuiting hot tub, damaged the building and threatened another home.
According to a Citrus County Fire Rescue (CCFR) news release, the homeowner living off of East Thunderhill Loop smelled smoke while in bed and was able to get others evacuated.
CCFR crews from stations in Kensington, the Inverness Highlands, Pine Ridge, Citrus Springs, along with a battalion chief and safety captain, were dispatched at 11:11 p.m. Units first arrived at 11:25 p.m. to find a double-wide mobile home 50% involved with flames, CCFR’s release shows.
Firefighters were able to control the blaze at around 11:36 p.m. before it spread to a nearby home.
No injuries were reported, but the home sustained 60% of damage.
CCFR’s release states the fire’s source was not suspicious and appeared to originate from a hot tub that shorted out.