With almost an average of a dozen new cases reported each day, Citrus County’s COVID-19 positivity rate for over the week dipped below 5%.
On Monday, May 17, the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) documented a total 11,245 cases of the novel coronavirus for the county — an increase of 83 infections since May 10.
Citrus County’s average 7-day rate of positive COVID-19 tests decreased since May 10 for its Florida residents, from 6.89% to 4.85%.
Health officials want to keep positivity rates — the number of positive results out of total test results — below 10%.
Also since May 10, according to the FDOH, two more locals were hospitalized with the virus and another five died from it. As of Monday, there’ve been 728 hospital admissions and 452 deaths from the disease.
Citrus County COVID-19 Vaccination & Case Demographics: Monday, May 17, 2021
|Age Group||First Dose||Series Complete||Total People Vaccinated||All Cases||Hospitalizations||Deaths|
COVID-19 data from the FDOH is subject to change as epidemiological investigations reveal new information on cases.
A Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) report from Monday stated Citrus County had six people in hospitals with a primary diagnosis of COVID-19.
There were also 33% of hospital beds available Monday in the county, according to the AHCA, and 43% of local adult intensive care units were open.
Roughly 36% of Citrus County residents (53,230 of them) were fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the FDOH, and around 42% of locals (or 63,059) have at least been partially inoculated.
For more information on how and where to get vaccinated, visit floridahealthcovid19.gov/vaccines.
Since starting school Aug. 20 for the 2020-21 school year, the school district recorded 779 COVID-19 cases — 219 staff, 560 students — as of Friday, an increase of 10 since May 10.
Here are the number of COVID-19 cases reported May 17, ranked by Citrus County’s 15 ZIP codes:
- 34452 (Inverness, Floral City, Inverness Highlands North and Inverness Highlands South): 1,263, an increase of eight since May 10;
- 34461 (Black Diamond, Citrus Hills, Homosassa Springs, Lecanto, Pine Ridge and Sugarmill Woods): 1,195, up one;
- 34465 (Beverly Hills, Black Diamond, Citrus Springs, Lecanto and Pine Ridge): 1,172, up 11;
- 34446 (Homosassa, Homosassa Springs, Lecanto and Sugarmill Woods): 1,139, up 10;
- 34442 (Citrus Hills, Citrus Springs, Hernando, Lecanto and Pine Ridge): 1,014, up six;
- 34429 (Crystal River, Ozello, Homosassa Springs, Lecanto and Black Diamond): 925, up nine;
- 34453 (Inverness, Citrus Hills, Hernando, Inverness Highlands North and Lecanto): 801, up 10;
- 34428 (Crystal River, Red Level and Inglis): 712, up three;
- 34434 (Dunnellon, Citrus Springs, Hernando and Pine Ridge): 703, up seven;
- 34448 (Homosassa, Homosassa Springs, Sugarmill Woods, Lecanto and Crystal River): 623, up seven;
- 34450 (Inverness and Inverness Highlands South): 586, up three;
- 34433 (Dunnellon, Citrus Springs and Pine Ridge): 428, up three;
- 34436 (Floral City): 420, up five;
- 34445 (Holder, Citrus Springs, Hernando and Pine Ridge): 13, no change; and,
- 34449 (Inglis and Yankeetown): seven, no change.