Of diversity, it has been said that no two snowflakes are alike and if we were to take a random sampling of them, we would notice the variations in size and shape — each one intricately beautiful and unique.
As volunteers we, too, are unique. At times we may wish others were more like us and would somehow come around to our way of thinking, but the world would be rather humdrum if all people looked, acted and thought alike. Part of the beauty and wonder of life is the beauty of the diversity that individual uniqueness nourishes. So, rather than resisting those differences in other people, volunteers understand and give thanks for them along the volunteer path. Bless our diversity. May it flourish.
Each month we provide a list of volunteer opportunities for your kind consideration. Please call, and volunteer:
- The GFWC Crystal River Woman’s Club is seeking vendors for their Fall Arts and Crafts Festival on Saturday, Oct. 26, at the clubhouse. A few spaces remain. Call Holly at 352-564-2541.
- Take Stock in Children is looking for volunteers to serve as mentor-tutors once a week for 30 to 45 minutes, in school. Call Pat at 352-422-2348.
- The Nature Coast Volunteer Center is looking for Senior Companions for their team of caregivers for a minimum of five hours a week. Call Laurie at 352-527-5952.
- The Veterans Appreciation Week Committee is in need of volunteers to serve on the committee that is coordinating the event. Call Chris at 352-302-9777.
- The Keep Citrus County Beautiful Save Our Waters Week Committee is in need of volunteers for the event, which will take place Sept. 21-28. Call Lace Blue-McLean at 352-201-0149.
- The Guardian ad Litem program is looking for volunteers to serve as advocates for children who have been abused, abandoned or neglected and are in the child welfare system. Call Diana at 352-812-0971.
- The Citrus County Meals on Wheels Program is looking for volunteers to make deliveries to seniors who are homebound in your area. Each route takes one to two hours to complete. Call 352-527-5975.
- Bayfront Health Seven Rivers Hospital is in need of volunteers for its Hospitality Program. Call 352-795-8400.
Special needs and notes
- The American Legion Beverly Hills Post 237 is sponsoring a Back to School Drive for school supplies and backpacks. Call Charleen Simpkins a 352-727-2054 for a location box for donated items.
- The DAV Auxiliary Unit 70 of Inverness is sponsoring a Sweats for Vets Drive of nylon sweatshirts and pants to be donated to VA hospitals and nursing homes for recovering veterans and those in rehabilitation. Call Sunny at 352-527-3395.
- The LifeSouth Bloodmobile keeps a safe supply of blood with your donations. Call 888-795-2707 for a bloodmobile site nearest you and donate the gift of life. ... blood.
- Nature Coast EMS offers free first aid, AED and CPR courses at 3876 W. Country Hill Drive in Lecanto. Call 352-249-4751.
- Free vessel safety checks are offered by the Homosassa Flotilla 15-4 of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary at the Riverhaven Marina in Homosassa. Email Bob Currie at Currier51@yahoo.com.
- Citrus Abuse Shelter Association (CASA) is in need of donations of cheese, juices for children, sippy cups, pacifiers and ketchup. Call Carol at 352-344-8111.
- The Path Family Rescue Mission is in need of donations of household furnishings, used appliances and clothing, desks, microwaves, mini-fridges, twin sheets, comforters, bath towels, washcloths and household cleaning supplies.
This column is for and about volunteers. If you or your organization are in need of volunteers and you’d like that need listed, call Ruth Levins at 352-795-3006, or write to her at P.O. Box 803, Crystal River, FL 34423-0803.