Phillips Brooks (1835-1893), an American Episcopal clergyman and bishop, is best known for his Christmas carol, “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” and his eloquence, charming personality and tolerant views. A graduate of Harvard University, of enthusiasm, he wrote: “Let us beware of losing our enthusiasm. Let us glory in something, and strive to retain our admiration for all that would ennoble our interest in all that would enrich our life.”
Volunteers embody a zest for living all along the volunteer path. It has more to do with our attitude and our approach to life than the number of years we have lived. Each month we list volunteer opportunities for your kind consideration. Please call, and volunteer:
- Citrus Big Band is looking for musicians to fill out the saxophone and trombone sections of the band. Call Andrew at 352-464-2870 and come to the practice sessions at Homosassa United Methodist Church on Bradshaw Street.
- The Friends of the Chassahowitzka River are in need of volunteers for their Chassahowitzka River Restoration, planting native plants in the picnic and springs area. Call 352-897-0479.
- The Nature Coast Volunteer Center is looking for Senior Companions who serve as caregivers for adults who live independently. Call Laurie at 352-527-5952.
- Citrus Abuse Shelter Association (CASA) is in need of volunteers for its reception desk and donation room. Call Carol at 352-344-8111.
- Operation Christmas Child, a project of the International Christmas Relief organization Samaritan’s Purse, delivers gifts to children in need. Begin collecting items that are on sale this summer and fill a shoebox for a boy or girl for the collection week of Nov. 18-25. Many churches throughout Citrus and Marion counties are sponsoring this project and serving as a collection point for them.
- The Veterans Administration is in need of volunteer drivers to take veterans to the Gainesville Veterans Administration Medical Center and The Villages Outpatient Clinic. Call 352-746-8005.
- The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is looking for volunteers to help with non-military and non-law-enforcement programs, including public education, vessel safety checks, safety patrols and search and rescue.
- The Crystal River National Wildlife refuge is in need of volunteers to meet and greet and guide travelers visiting Three Sisters Springs beginning at the Welcome Center. Call Jim Valade at 352-563-2088.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters is in need of volunteer mentors. Call Cheri at 352-410-4442.
- The Citrus County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) is looking for volunteers for its Volunteer Public Service Officer Program to work directly with its patrol deputies and assist them with duties such as traffic control, crashes or helping with crime scene management. Call the CCSO and volunteer.
- The High School Exchange Program is in need for its foreign exchange program for students attending school in Citrus County arriving in August. Call Yvette at 800-941-3738 and volunteer your home.
- The Citrus County Animal Shelter is looking for volunteers to provide a shelter in their home for short-term, long-term, day-out adventures and more. Call Colleen at 352-746-8408.
- The Master Gardener Program is looking for volunteers to share their skills and offer garden information. Call 352-527-5700.
- Skillbank is in need of volunteers in the Beverly Hills area to assist seniors to their doctor appointments, barbers, hairdressers, banks and grocery stores, and with light home maintenance. Call 352-746-5001.
- Beverly Hills Surveillance Unit is looking for volunteers to patrol and do house checks. Visit the training office at 1 Civic Circle in Beverly Hills and speak with Frank Flynn, coordinator of the patrol volunteers.
- VITAS Healthcare is in need of volunteers to help terminally ill patients. Visit the office at 3280 W. Audubon Park Path in Lecanto and volunteer.
- The Crystal River Lions Club, which meets the first and third Tuesday monthly at the Crystal River Depot, is looking for members to assist in their quest to provide assistance to the sight and hearing impaired of our community. Call Lou Chandler at 352-601-7339.
- Citrus County’s Meals On Wheels is in need of volunteer drivers for two hours, one day a week, in your area. Call 352-527-5975.
- The American Cancer Society Resource Center, at 208 Grace St. in Inverness, offers free literature, wigs and mastectomy bras from 9 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call 352-726-0026.
- Give the gift of transportation. Joe Marteski coordinates with school guidance counselors and social workers to find donors of cars for students in need. Call him at 727-580-0891.
- The following donations are needed:
- Old phones to the Female Veterans. Call Cynthia at 352-628-6481.
- Old sneakers to Nature Coast Diva Angels for charity fundraising. Call 352-585-6417.
- Sweats For Vets in Recovery. Call Ann at 352-249-7827.
- CASA needs size 5 diapers, bandages, fruit juices, cheese, margarine, butter, coffee, creamer, children’s shoes, latex gloves and 13-gallon kitchen garbage bags. Call Carol at 352-344-8111.
- Give blood at LifeSouth Blood Centers. Call 888-795-2707.
This column is for and about volunteers. If you or your organization are in need of volunteers and you’d like that need listed, call Ruth Levins at 352-795-3006, or write to her at P.O. Box 803, Crystal River, FL 34423-0803.