Crystal River — The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Division 15 recently installed elected and appointed officers to serve for 2021.
Newly elected Division Commander Linda Jones and Vice Division Commander George Dooris are Homosassa residents who have been active in the USCG Auxiliary for many years.
The following members were appointed and sworn in as Division Staff Officers for 2021:
- Diane Berman — communication services
- Larry Berman — information services
- Patricia Dooris — member training and aids to navigation
- Andy Render — operations and human resources
- Vince Maida — finance and food services
- Ray O’Connell — communications
- Paul Pelletier — marine safety
- Harold Imhoff — recreational safe boating program visitation
- Larry Taylor — materials
- Dolores Spain — public education
- Linda Jones — public affairs
- Robert Currie — vessel exams
Division 15 consists of individual flotillas operating in Hernando Beach, Homosassa, Crystal River and Ocala.
The following members were elected Flotilla Commanders:
- Crystal River — Larry Berman
- Ocala — Joseph Soucey
- Homosassa — Patricia Dooris
- Hernando Beach — Patrick Stewart
The Division 15 area of responsibility covers the waterways from south of Hernando Beach to the Big Bend area of northwest Florida, and the lake areas in Ocala.
Members of Division 15 assist Coast Guard Station Yankeetown with search and rescue, post-storm damage assessment patrols, training, covering radio communications, and food service at the station, educating the public on safe boating practices, performing free vessel safety checks, and much more.
These flotillas are actively recruiting new members, especially people with boats approximately 18 feet or larger.
Prospective members must be U.S. citizens, have computer access, must complete an application and background check, be willing and able to take online instruction to gain certification, and commit to participating in at least one of the many areas available to assist the flotilla and Coast Guard. All training is free.
For more information about becoming a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Division 15, email Andy at email@example.com.