On Oct. 5, the VFW Department of Florida State Headquarters building, located at 543 NE Sanchez Ave. in Ocala, was dedicated in honor of the late Past National Cmdr. in Chief and Past Department Cmdr. John M. Carney.
PCIC Carney served in the Korean war and joined the VFW in 1958. During his time as the VFW Commander in Chief, he met many dignitaries including President George W. Bush and Bill Clinton. During the ’70s, then-Governor Askew appointed him to the Florida Veterans Advisory Council. He also served as the interim director of the VFW National Home for Children in Eaton Rapids, Michigan and The Director for the VFW PAC Office in Washington DC for six years. He was appointed to the National Cemetery Committee for six years.
The family of PCIC Carney were in attendance, as well as 50 guests from around the state. A short ceremony culminated with the presentation of two framed photos of the building with its new name to the grandson of the honoree.