.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Letters

  • Time for action on global warming
  • Thank you from Kids Triathlon

    United Way recently hosted our annual Citrus County Kids Triathlon. This event was once again an outstanding success.

    We want to thank our event chair, Linda VanAllen, for all of her hard work, dedication and effort to making this event so special.

  • Let’s play a word game

    “When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for the people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume, among the powers of the earth the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature, and of nature’s God entitles them.”

  • Pondering such radical things

    Here is an easy answer for Mr. Block’s question: If radical terrorists are attempting to destroy America and left-wingers don’t believe it, is it still happening?”

    The original tree/forest/sound question was a philosophical thought experiment, raising questions regarding observation and knowledge of reality.

  • Return nation to its essence

    A time for brats and beer, or is it a day to remember the meaning of what our independence is and where it came from and how we got it.

  • Government list and due process

    The past week I received an email from Sen. Nelson on his proposed restrictions on gun purchases for anyone on a government no-fly list or government terrorist list. On the surface this seems like a logical thing to do, however as I discussed with Alex in Nelson’s office, the current lists that the government has on people has no “due process” for any individuals that may end up on such a list. 

  • Half-cent school tax is a bad idea

    “It is only $54 per year per person.” This is how the school board begs for more money with their proposed half-cent sales tax increase. This is quickly followed up by “You do want to help the students, don’t you?” as they attempt to shame citizens into falling for their tax and spend philosophy. Let’s look at these arguments.

  • Letter’s assertions need correction

    The letter to the editor published on June 27 has errors of fact warranting correction regarding amending the U.S. Constitution. That letter says an amendment proposed by the Congress would have to be accepted by 36 states within 10 years. Article V of the Constitution says proposed amendments must be ratified by three fourths of the states. There are 50 states in the U.S. and the decimal equivalent of three fourths is .75, so when you multiply those numbers the answer is 37.5  which is rounded to 38. 

  • In response to gun control

    This letter is in response to letters published on June 30, from Tom Paslay and Bob Goethe.

    Mr. Paslay, there have been no mass shootings in the U.S. during the past 40 years where assault weapons were used. Assault weapons are fully automatic, meaning that the weapon will continue to fire as long as the trigger is depressed and ammo remains in the magazine.

  • Citrus County hardly diverse

    When I read Charles Knecht’s letter on diversity in the county, I had to challenge his opinion about how diverse we are. When I looked at census data for the county we are 93 percent white, and all the others races make up the remaining 7 percent. Who would say that is diversity?