- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Ten (new) Commandments of Ostomates:
1. Thou shall allow thyself to be sad, or angry or depressed on occasion. Who said you always have to have a good attitude?
2. Thou shall not let the above emotions become a way of life.
3. Thou shall seek help, education and support if thine unhappy emotions overcome thee.
4. Thou shall seek out the WOCN Nurse if thou art not satisfied with thine products.
5. Thou shall learn to care for thy ostomy. Letting others do it for you if you are physically able to is a cop-out.
6. Thou shalt not hide thyself away. Get out and do the things you used to do. You can!
7. Thou shall not be ashamed.
8. Thou shall cultivate a sense of humor about thine ostomy. There are worse things.
9. Thou shall set an example to the non-ostomy world. An example of triumph over adversity, courage over pity and pride over embarrassment.
10. Thou shall help other ostomates. Join your local UOAA group, donate money and volunteer your time.
Your Ostomy Support Group of Citrus County meets at 2 p.m. the third Sunday of every month at the Citrus Memorial Health System’s Office Building, the old school house, at 131 S. Citrus Ave., Inverness.
Any questions, call Steve at 352-229-4202 or Sue at 352-560-7918.
Sally A. Borland is on the board of directors of the Ostomy Support Group of Citrus County No.555.