- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Park decked out as holiday wonderland
The annual Christmas Celebration of Lights running through Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, and Wednesday, Dec. 26, at the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State opens at 5:30 p.m. and closes at 9 p.m. each day.
The Celebration of Lights features a synchronized light and sound display in the Garden of the Springs by Sebastian Hawes. Joe Dube hosts the nightly entertainment. Holiday lights, decorations, music and refreshments creates a setting for the holiday wonderland. The Miss-L-Toe Café will be set up in the Garden of the Springs with a selection of holiday refreshments.
Nightly entertainment includes:
* Friday, Dec. 21: A visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus, along with performances by Sophie Robitaile and Taylor Eve.
* Saturday, Dec. 22: Hearts to Hands Deaf Choir performs in the Garden of the Springs.
* Sunday, Dec. 23: Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit with children and Richard Michael Reyes will perform in the Garden of the Springs.
* Monday, Dec. 24 (Christmas Eve): The Nature Coast Community Church will present a nondenominational candlelight service in the Garden of the Springs starting at 6:30 p.m. Visitors may bring nonperishable food items to be donated to the We Care Food Bank.
* Tuesday, Dec. 25 (Christmas Day): Although no events are planned, the park will be open from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
* Wednesday, Dec. 26: An After-Christmas Oldies Party hosted by Joe Dube with special performances by Elvis (Billy Lindsey from Tampa) throughout the evening.
A donation of $3 for adults and $1 for children ages 6 through 12 is suggested. Children ages 5 and younger are admitted free.
For visitors’ convenience, transportation will be provided by tram from the Visitor Center parking lot on U.S. 19 to the west entrance on Fishbowl Drive.
For more information, call the park office at 352-628-5343, ext. 1002, Monday through Friday.
Ballet to perform classic fairy tales
Victoria’s School of Dance presents the ballet Six Pink Slippers, an adaptation of
Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 22.
Tickets cost $12 in advance and $15 on Dec. 22. Call the Art Center at 352-746-7606 for more information and tickets.
— From staff reports